Pit & Saggar Firing With Haley Tessler
Join us for a 2-day pit firing and saggar firing retreat, homemade food, and good people in the heart of San Luis Obispo’s wine country! Haley will lead participants in preparing pots specifically for pit and saggar firings to achieve the whimsical results theses firing techniques have to offer. Students will learn a variety of skills ranging from preparing greenware for bisque firing, preparing bisqueware for pit firing and saggar firing, how to stack and fire a pit, and how to prepare and fire foil saggars.
Bring up to 4 pots for pit firing (max dimension 15″ in any direction), and up to 2 pots for day 2 saggar firing (max dimension 6″ in any direction) made from white clay. Note: it never hurts to bring extra pots in case there is room for more or you make smaller work.
For the best results, pots must be burnished and ideally treated with terra sigillata before bisque firing. Bringing well burnished pots without terra sig will also yield great results. More info on how to prepare pots will be sent out upon registration. If you would like to receive a 1pint home kit of terra sig, please select that before adding to your cart. This option will become unavailable starting June 1.
Day 1 – Saturday 12pm–4pm
- Participants will prepare the pit with a variety of combustibles and prepare their pots with different colorants and organic materials depending on desired surface treatments
- A homemade lunch will be prepared and enjoyed on site
- The kiln will be fired off then left to burn and cool overnight.
Day 2 – Sunday 10am–3pm
- We will start the day off with unloading the pit and discussing results
- Then we will move on to preparing pots in foil saggars for saggar firing in a raku kiln
- We will fire a series of saggar kilnloads until the end of the day.
- A homemade lunch will be prepared and enjoyed on site.